Neck, Jaw, Facial Pain & Headaches
Gillitts, Kloof & Hillcrest practices
Neck, Jaw, Facial Pain & Headaches
Physiotherapy can be helpful in treating neck pain, facial pain, jaw pain and headaches.
- Neck pain: Physiotherapy can help to relieve neck pain by addressing the underlying causes, such as muscle strain or tension, poor posture or neck injuries. Treatment may include exercises to improve posture and strengthen the neck muscles, manual therapy (spinal mobilisation, massage, myofascial release etc) and electrotherapy/dry needling to improve healing and reduce pain, and education on ergonomic adjustments to work or daily activities to prevent future episodes of neck pain.
- Facial pain: Physiotherapy can be used to treat facial pain caused by temporomandibular joint (TMJ) dysfunction or other musculoskeletal conditions or injuries. Treatment may include gentle joint mobilisation, massage, myofascial release, trigger point therapy, laser, ultrasound, dry needling, stretches, exercises, posture correction and relaxation.
- Headaches: Physiotherapy can be effective in treating tension headaches and headaches coming from the neck, and may also benefit other types of headaches . Treatment may include exercises to improve posture and strengthen the neck stabilising muscles, manual therapy (spinal mobilisation, massage, myofascial release, trigger point therapy etc) to improve mobility and reduce pain and education on relaxation techniques to reduce stress and tension in the head, neck and shoulder muscles.
The effectiveness of physiotherapy for neck pain, facial pain and headaches may vary depending on the underlying cause and severity of the condition. It’s best to work with a qualified physiotherapist to assess you fully and develop an individualised treatment plan based on your specific condition and requirements.
Benefits of Physiotherapy for Neck pain, Headaches, and Temporomandibular Joint (TMJ) dysfunction.
- Reduced pain: Physiotherapy can help reduce pain in the neck, head, face and jaw.
- Improved function: Physiotherapy can improve neck and jaw function, making it easier to perform daily activities such as speaking, chewing, and turning the head. This can also reduce the risk of future episodes of pain or dysfunction.
- Increased range of motion: Physiotherapy can help improve joint mobility, which can lead to increased range of motion in the neck and jaw.
- Muscle relaxation: Physiotherapy can teach techniques for relaxation of the neck and facial muscles, which can help reduce tension and pain in the affected areas.
- Prevention of future episodes: By addressing underlying issues such as poor posture, muscle imbalances, or joint dysfunction, physiotherapy can help prevent future episodes of neck pain, headaches, and TMJ dysfunction.
- Reduced need for medication: By addressing the underlying causes of pain and dysfunction, physiotherapy may reduce the need for medication or other more invasive treatments.
When one should have treatment for Neck pain, Headaches or Facial Pain
It’s recommended to start physiotherapy as soon as possible for headaches, TMJ pain and neck pain. In many cases, these conditions can be effectively treated with physiotherapy if addressed early on. The longer these conditions go untreated, the more likely they are to become chronic and more difficult to manage.
If you are experiencing persistent headaches, TMJ pain, or neck pain that is interfering with your daily activities or quality of life, it’s a good idea to consult with a physiotherapist. They can evaluate your condition, determine the underlying causes of your pain, and develop a personalised treatment plan to address your specific needs.
In some cases, it may be beneficial to start physiotherapy as a preventative measure, particularly if you have a history of these conditions or if you work in a job that requires repetitive motions or prolonged periods of sitting or standing. Your physiotherapist can provide advice on preventative measures, exercises, and stretches to help reduce your risk of developing these conditions.
Price of Physiotherapy for Headaches & Neck and Facial Pain
The cost of Physiotherapy will vary depending on the type and severity of your condition/injury; more complex injuries may require more sessions or specialised treatment.
We offer medical aid rates.
Please contact us if you need any further information on pricing.
How we can help
Physiotherapists at our Gillitts, Hillcrest and Kloof practices provide professional, evidence-based physiotherapy for neck problems, headaches, TMJ disorders and facial injuries/surgery.
How to Schedule and Appointment
MAIN BRANCH (GILLITTS):
The Gillitts Medical Centre, 15 Old Main Rd, Gillitts, 3610. Kwazulu Natal,
HILLCREST BRANCH (LE DOMAINE):
Le Domaine Health, Le Domaine Estate, 100 Acutts Drive, Hillcrest, 3610. Kwazula Natal, South Africa.
Juli-Ann Riley Physiotherapists, Femina Health, 75 Old Main Rd, Kloof 3610, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa.
Frequently asked questions about Physiotherapy for Headaches, Neck pain & TMJ problems
1. How long does it take to see results from physiotherapy?
The length of time it takes to see results from physiotherapy can vary depending on the underlying cause and severity of the condition. Some people may experience immediate relief after the first session, while others may require multiple sessions to see significant improvement.
2. Are there any side effects of physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy is generally considered a safe and non-invasive treatment option. However, some people may experience temporary soreness or stiffness after treatment, particularly after manual therapy.
3. Can physiotherapy prevent future episodes of neck pain, TMJ dysfunction, and headaches?
Yes, physiotherapy can help prevent future episodes by addressing the underlying causes of these conditions, such as poor posture, muscle imbalances or joint dysfunction.
PLEASE NOTE: This information is not intended to be used for diagnosis or treatment. It is aimed at presenting a perspective only and is not a substitute for a health professional consultation. Anyone experiencing a medical condition or requiring physiotherapy should book an appointment with us for a complete assessment.
Le Domaine Health
Le Domaine Health, 100 Acutts Drive, Hillcrest, 3610, KwaZulu Natal, South Africa
Bookings: 031 355 0030
HOME & NURSING HOME VISITS:
All private homes in the upper Highway Nursing homes
including Rob Roy, Winston Park Rest Home, Waterfall Gardens & Le Domaine Care (and others)
Bookings: 031 764 2750